Wednesday, January 17, 2007

The following story is about one of the top motivating people in my life. I have read this story over and over and I can always hardly beleive that it is true. How can a guy walk on his hands for 160 hours plus without sleeping? If a person is able to have his legs blown off and is still able to not only remain positive but to go to higher heights than the average even dreams about. What is possible in my life? What is the most I am capable of? What can I do to improve in my life? Is this person here to show the world what is possible? Does this person exist to remind us what most of us have to be grateful for? I get tons of questions that flow through my mind as I read stories like this.

Thank you again for all of the kind emails and letters of encouragement.


My favorite part is where he says "they took my legs not my heart". Incredible.





WHEELCHAIR-BOUND INSPIRATION

Bob Wieland, who lost his legs in Vietnam 34 years ago, finished the Los Angeles marathon Saturday, March, 8, 2003, after 173 hours and 45 minutes. It took 57-year-old Wieland of Arcadia, Calif., more than one week to cover the more than 26 miles. He used only his hands and torso.

Bob Wieland lost his legs in Vietnam, but that did not stop him. He is known for his walk across America. Last week during the LA marathon, he walked without sleeping for 163 hours and met a homeless person who is now working for him!

“Mr. Inspiration”, as Bob is known, was featured as the Person of the Day on Connie Chung on her March 10th show. He is scheduled to be on an upcomong Bryant Gumble show. The unstoppable Bob Wieland has truly inspired the world with his amazing achievements.

Bob Wieland’s life sparkles with courage and greatness. Bob lost his legs in Vietnam via a mortar round while trying to rescue a fellow soldier. Bob was born and raised in Greenfield, Wisconsin and was an all-star athlete well on his way to being a professional baseball player. Rather than dwelling on his lost baseball career, Bob chose to focus on the challenges that were ahead. In his words, “I lost my legs, not my heart.”

Bob Wieland is one of those rare few who can speak from the depth of a LIFE ACHIEVEMENT. What’s more, his passionately motivating style creates a desire to excel in audiences. He’s a role model whose words you hang on to for inspiration, because he’s THE REAL THING. In thousands of appearances from 10 to 10,000 strong. Bob has a way of touching hearts… making people want to give just a measure more.

Author of One Step At A Time and a member of the President’s Council of Physical Fitness and Sports, Bob has been encouraging audiences for over 15 years, creating an awareness of not just his accomplishments, but of time honored PRINCIPLES OF ACHIEVEMENT. He is blessed with a speaking style that makes each person in the audience feel like he is speaking directly to them, one-on-one. His honors and public/product endorsement are extensive. His programs are not crass sensationalism, but a practical complement to your organizational goals.

AWARDS

* 1996, Named “The Most Courageous Man in America” by the NFL Players Association and the Jim Thorpe Foundation
* 1994, Voted “One of the Six Most Amazing Americans in the Past 20 Years” by People Magazine
* 1989, U.S. Marine Corps Marathon, “Most Inspirational” Award
* 1989, Healthy American Fitness Leader Award, United States Jaycees
* 1988, recipient of the prestigious Victory Award
* 1986, Outstanding Alumnus of the Year, California State University
* 1977-78, California’s Outstanding Disabled American Veteran
* 1971-72, Wisconsin’s Outstanding Disabled American Veteran

ACCOMPLISHMENTS

* Strength, flexibility, and motivational coach with the professional football team Green Bay packers
* Walked across America on his arms in three years, eight months, six days in 1982-86
* Former 4-time world record holder in the bench press with best lift of 507 pounds
* Completed the New York, Los Angeles, and Marine Corp Marathons
* Only double amputee to complete the grueling Ironman Triathlon in Kona, Hawaii
* Hosting 1992 television talk show Beating the Odds on national Sports Channel America
* Faculty member, outstanding graduate, and alumnus of California State University, Los Angeles
* Completed 6,200 mile bike circuit, twice across America in conjuction with the Congressional Medal of Honor Society

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are always people who remind us that we are lucky and we have a whole lot to me grateful for.

For me, it's Terry Fox. A man who has taught me the true meaning of courage and determination. Even if he has passed, it's difficult for me to use the past tense when I speak of him. For many Canadians, he is and will always be a source of courage!

7:24 AM  
Blogger Tom Bailey said...

BSB, (Terry Fox)

Being from Canada that is no suprise. He has a great foundation and his story has inspired many.

Many Americans are not firmiliar with his story.

Thank you for reminding me of him. I saw a television special about him and was very inspired. He unfortunately does not get much US recognition.

8:39 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I'm not even sure I could finish a marathon as a healthy 31-year-old with functioning legs. I'm a little shamed and a lot motivated by the story. Thanks.

9:10 AM  
Blogger Tom Bailey said...

Kristin, there is nothing to be ashamed of some people have different strengths and weaknesses in life.

I was not sure I could do one either but I found an 18 week training program that helped me do it. With an 18 week training program it is incredible what is possible in almost any area of life.

If a person can push this hard in an area of life to make something happen, it makes me think... what can I make happen in an area of my life and it lessens my excuses and complaining and brings a true state of motivation for me rather than a false state of motivation for me.

10:21 AM  
Blogger Argrow Images said...

Great post !
Sorry, don't really got a time
to write some more.
Good luck Tom.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Keshi said...

**they took my legs not my heart".

Profound!

WOW ty for this story Tom...loved the inspiration it gives me!

Keshi.

4:34 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Amazing... thanks for sharing.

7:48 PM  
Blogger C-dell said...

I feel that people had a inherient capability for great things. Often we don't reach it because we hinder ourselves for many known and unknown reasons. A mindboggling thing.

9:35 PM  
Blogger algelic said...

Wow! That was an amazing man! So inspirational. :)

3:38 AM  
Blogger Tom Bailey said...

Thank you all for the comments.


C-dell the mind is a very complicated thing. I just look at it this way if I am going to be thinking anyways... why not think positive?

9:07 AM  
Blogger Jeff Joslin said...

Yes Bob's story is an incredible one. I'm producing the feature film of Bob's life through the end of the walk. Then possibly the next 20 years. If you're interested in keeping up with this film project or getting involved, contact Bob's web site. www.bobwieland.com

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home